Custom Static Window Clings
Custom static window clings are one of the most accessible forms of vinyl advertising. Most people have seen window clings passing through retail stores and malls and had no idea they are staring straight at a window cling film. Window clings appear like a standard custom decal with adhesive backing but allow for installation on glass, a mirror, or even acrylic signs
without the sticky mess. Anytime you need the vinyl graphic to display without high or low tack adhesives, static window clings are a perfect solution.
More about Static Clings
Static Clings are flexible white vinyl that does not require adhesive on glass surfaces. They use the ambient moisture and static rather than a clear glue or adhesive like traditional stickers and "cling" rather than stick on surfaces, so they are relocatable and reusable.
However, window clings are limited to application locations compared to other vinyl signs since they can only correctly "cling" to the window depending on the environment. Therefore, it's best to stick with mounting indoors instead of outdoors, where rain and humidity may affect the lifespan.
It's prevalent to see window clings used for business hours, memberships, or essential branding by displaying the logo and business name. Additional static window clings use cases are listed below:
- Retail sales promotions
- Store hours and special holidays
- Temporary signage
- Directional signs
- Corporate branding
- Brand recognition
- School parking passes
Because traditional static cling material is white vinyl, the only option for installation is to install it from the outside of the glass or the face of a mirror. For widow clings that stick to the inside of glass, clear static clings are the "clear choice," pun intended.
Businesses that swap out graphics for flash sales and promos may require the material to cling to the inside of storefronts glass to face outwards to potential new customers. Clear window clings
have the print option to reverse print the designs and allow for the "cling" side of the material to adhere to the inside of the glass.
Whether the appearance of the design has clear or opaque, the transparent material has both flood white and spot white finish options. These options determine if the final look of the design appears to have some clear areas or if all solid colors are "flooded" out to allow your colors to stand out and pop off the transparent material.
Still not sure what's best for you? Read this article on Spot White vs Flood White
Window Cling Film Cut Options
Cut options are a fantastic way to enhance the shape of the final design. Cut options are always optional and are not a requirement for any order. Some cut finish like oval and circle cuts have automated options where no additional art setup is required. At the same time, halo (contour cuts) cut options require an advanced artwork setup. Here's a link to our guide on setting up cut files
Halo cuts have also been known to be called contour cuts. The design style is entirely custom to the shape, with a border (in most cases white) around the outside of the vinyl's edge. Commonly used with the design is too completed for transfer decals.
The circle cut options indicate the vinyl decals are cut into perfect round cut decals. There is no need to show the circle shape in the file or include a dieline. There is no additional artwork set, and we do ask you have a .25" bleed or upload a square design with colors flooded edge to edge of the artboard.
Oval cuts are similar to the circle cuts above; however, the finish is an oval shape. In addition, there is no additional artwork set, and we do ask you include a .25" bleed or upload a rectangular design with colors flooded edge to edge of the artboard.
Rounded Corner Option
A rounded corner is a finish option that allows you to change the exterior shape of your design without having to make any alterations to your art file. The round corner radial bend options are as follows:
- 1" All Corners
- 3/4" All Corners
- 1/2" All Corners
- 1/4" All Corners
- 3/8" All Corners
Installation - Care & Maintenance
Installation care and maintenance are fortunately effortless for window cling film. It requires a few essential items; here is a shortlist of what you will need:
- Dish soap
- Damp cloth or towel
Installing Window Cling Flim
Below is the easy to follow step-by-step installation process:
- Clean the surface of the window or mirror thoroughly. Cleaning the surface will remove any dirt, grease, oil, and other residues interfering with the application.
- Apply an even coat of liquid dish soap to the surface you will apply your decal film on; this will help reduce air bubbles between layers when you peel off the backing paper later.
- Peel the backing paper off of the cling.
- Once the backing is removed, slowly and carefully place the window cling onto the desired surface.
- Now use the squeegee to wipe any air bubbles from the center of the graphic to the exterior of the edge of the vinyl.
- Step number 5 should allow any air bubbles to release from under the surface; repeat step 5 until the graphic appears flawless without air bubbles.
Maintenance Made Simple
The proper maintenance will ensure the maximum integrity of the graphic's lifespan. Start by removing the graphic from the application surface.
- Place the cling to soak in a bucket of soapy water for a few minutes.
- Gently place a cloth in the water, and use the material to remove debris and unwanted dirt.
- Remove the cling from the water and place it onto a dry towel.
- Use an additional towel to press against the cling to remove any remaining moisture firmly.
- Move the cling to the side and begin cleaning the application area surface.
- Now that the cling and install location is immaculate, you can now go back to see the step-by-step installation guide above.
If the proper steps are followed on installation, you should expect the lifespan of a custom vinyl decal to be 1 to 3 years, but this can vary depending on extreme heat and or constant direct sunlight.
- Indoor or Outdoor application
- Installed in a place without constant direct sunlight.
- The surface of the install location must be adequately cleaned before installation.
- Installed adequately to a flat surface.
- Exposure to contact abrasive products